If you or your family have been injured in a fire, we would like to help you determine who is responsible for causing your injuries and obtain the compensation you will need.
Since fire and smoke inhalation injuries are often severely disabling and there is often millions of dollars of insurance available, we may be able to provide you with our Concierge Service — providing you car service for transportation to our office, doctors and other places. We may even be able to provide someone to help you on a daily basis.
Injuries resulting from a fire require substantial compensation because of the extreme hardship they cause. Most fire injuries are caused by smoke inhalation and often accompanied by thermal (heat) injury to the airway (throat) and lungs. Often, injuries from fire or smoke inhalation are worth millions of dollars.
Noxious gases released from burning materials include carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide. chlorine gas, ammonia, hydrocarbons and acids causing permanent injuries.
Fire, extreme heat, chemicals and smoke inhalation can cause any or all of the following injuries:
- Burns and scars result in extensive medical treatment costing a lot of money and cause substantial pain and embarrassment.
- Lung damage can cause permanent scarring to the lungs.
- Thermal injury to the upper airway.
- Irritation or chemical injury to the airways from soot, asphyxiation, and toxicity from carbon monoxide (CO) and other gases such as cyanide.
- Brain injury
There are many different scenarios where someone can be responsible to compensate you for your injuries. For instance:
- The fire can be caused because of someone’s negligence.
- The fire may have been an accident or caused by your negligence but your landlord may be responsible for failure to provide you with working fire detectors.
- The fire can be caused both because of someone’s negligence and because you are not provided with working fire detectors.
There are many people and entities which may be responsible for causing the fire resulting in your injuries. Your landlord may be responsible but an electrical contractor, handyman or other people may also be responsible.
A landlord has a legal obligation to keep the property free from hazards, including hazards which can cause a fire. A landlord is required to protect the tenants from hazardous conditions including those which can cause a fire. If a landlord failed to protect you from the hazardous condition which caused the fire which injured you, the landlord will be held liable for your injuries.
Most fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring but there are many other causes such as leaving hazardous materials in the basement, garage or even the garbage.
In New York City, numerous laws regulate what landlords must do to prevent fires in apartments, apartment buildings and office buildings. There are many thousands of building codes laws which regulate fire prevention, fire detection, fire extinguishment and emergency exits. For example:
- One type of building code intended to reduce fires and prevent toxic smoke may require your landlord to have electrical wiring with a metal sheath called BX cable.
- Building codes require your landlord to install, maintain and inspect smoke alarms on a regular basis to make sure that all smoke detectors are working properly. For instance, a smoke detector with a battery that lasts one year must be regularly inspected and the battery changed.
- Depending upon the type of building, fire alarms and other types of fire protection and extinguishment systems may be required such as sprinklers, chemical or carbon dioxide systems.
- Landlords must periodically inspect fire exits to ensure they are working properly and are accessible.
- If there are too many people living in an apartment, the landlord can be liable for allowing the overcrowding.
We retain a fire / explosion expert such as Robson Forensic Inc. to determine the parties responsible for causing a fire or explosion and to testify how these people caused the fire and your injuries.
See how a fire expert can determine the cause of a fire and see if you can spot where the fire started in the kitchen. These two photos show fire damage in the area of a stove and microwave on the kitchen counter. One photo shows the fire damage and the other photo is marked up to show the burn and fire patterns that indicate where the fire started.
Call 7 days/nights for a free consultation if you have been injured in a fire