TYPES OF NURSING HOME ABUSE, ACCIDENTS & NEGLIGENCE
Nursing home negligence occurs when a resident is abused or neglected in a nursing home.
If a nursing home fails to administer care in a professional and compassionate manner, a nursing home negligence lawyer may be able to get you or your loved one compensation and improve conditions for your loved one.
When your father, mother, child, or other loved one is injured by nursing home negligence, it may be caused by abuse, neglect, or negligence. It’s often a violation of the law and the nursing home’s own rules and policies.
Nursing home negligence can result in the following injuries, which often indicate that the nursing home is responsible:
- Slip and Fall injuries resulting in broken bones
- Decubitus ulcers, also known as pressure ulcers or bedsores
- Sexual assault
- Wandering off the nursing home premises and injuring themselves
Slip and Fall Injuries in Nursing Homes
Slip and Fall injuries should not occur in nursing homes because they can be prevented. Nursing homes must design a care plan specifically for each patient-resident. The care plan must assess and continually reassess the following specific risks and needs of every patient:
- Mobility limitations
- Loss of balance
- Loss of strength
- Medications causing drowsiness, dizziness, or other reduced abilities
- Impaired vision
Nursing homes may Become liable for negligence due to the following failures:
- Failure to develop a satisfactory care plan for the patient
- Failure to continually reassess and modify the care plan
- Failure to provide the care outlined in the care plan
- Failure to properly handle the patient
- Unqualified or untrained staff
- Failing to properly maintain the premises, including wet floors, defective floors, or inadequate lighting
What You Should Know About Lawsuits Against Nursing Homes
Nursing home negligence cases are one of the most complicated cases in personal injury because there are three areas of law that concern nursing home cases and regulate nursing homes.
Additionally, most nursing homes are owned by large corporations that spare no expense or time defending them. Consequently, your lawyer should “specialize” in nursing home cases (please note lawyers in New York are not allowed to claim to be specialists, and we are therefore using that term to mean substantial experience).
Lawyers who handle nursing home negligence cases need to spend all their time just with these cases because of the extreme amount of time a lawyer must spend working on a nursing home case and the amount of time necessary to acquire the experience needed.
Because nursing home negligence cases require a high degree of specialty and experience, we refer nursing home cases to a friend who is based in New York and is well-known nationwide for nursing home abuse and negligence cases. While personal injury lawyers in New York are not allowed to call themselves specialists, we would like to say they are specialists.
Why You Should Call Us When You Need a Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer
Calling us gives you several advantages:
- Your case will be handled by lawyers who are not only extremely experienced with nursing home negligence. The law firm we work with was one of the first law firms to do nursing home negligence cases, and they only work on nursing home negligence cases.
- If you ever have a problem getting the lawyer on your case to answer a question, you can always contact us anytime, and we can get your questions answered immediately.
- Your legal fee will not increase because the nursing home negligence lawyer will pay us a small fee out of their fee. Your legal fee will be the same 1/3, no matter which nursing home negligence lawyer you call.
How Do I Know if a Bedsore Is a Good Lawsuit?
While not all bedsores are a result of nursing home negligence, you should always call us so we can evaluate your loved one’s situation.
What Type of Bed Sores Are a Result of Negligence?
A pressure injury is a result of nursing home negligence. Pressure injuries are bedsores that were called pressure ulcers, pressure sores, or decubitus ulcers.
When occurring in a nursing home, pressure injuries are all result of nursing home negligence and mean that there is a good case.
Pressure ulcers or pressure sores are caused by pressure on the same area of skin for too long, friction, pulling on skin, or moisture.
Not all bedsores are pressure injuries, but if your loved one has any kind of bedsore or ulcer, you should call us immediately.
The following information will give you a good idea of when a bedsore is a pressure ulcer or pressure sore and, therefore, is a result of nursing home negligence and is a good case.
How Do I Know if a Bedsore Is a Pressure Ulcer That I Can Sue For
If you see any of the following symptoms that indicate the existence of a pressure ulcer or pressure sore, there is likely a valuable nursing home negligence bedsore case.
Symptoms of pressure ulcers caused by nursing home negligence
- Part of the skin has become discolored – people with pale skin tend to get red patches, while people with dark skin tend to get purple or blue patches.
- Discolored patches do not turn white when pressed.
- A patch of skin feels warm, spongy, or hard.
- Pain or itchiness in the affected area.
This is an excellent video showing Pressure Ulcers (Injuries), Stages, Prevention, and Assessment
If a nursing home fails to administer care in a professional and compassionate manner, and you or your loved one has suffered from inadequate care, you may be entitled to compensation, and you may be able to improve conditions for your loved one or someone else’s loved one.
Pressure injuries can cause death. Hopefully, your loved one hasn’t passed away, but if your loved one passed away due to a bedsore or pressure injury, you may be interested to read on our website about wrongful death in New York.
We offer free consultations for Nursing Home Negligence cases.
Get the 1-800-HUR-T911® Dream Team™ on your side and become a member of our family!
We’ll immediately protect you from the insurance companies!
“Knowing I had a team of great lawyers on my side gave me a sense of power and peace of mind. They took care of everything for me. When a settlement was negotiated, I saw the difference a team of lawyers makes.”
No Win — No Fee — No Expenses — Guaranteed!
Attorneys who can get you the most amount of money AND provide personal service!
Please take a look at some of our:
What will happen when I call 1-800-HURT-911 or chat?
- Our call center operators and chat operators are available 24/7.
- Just give your contact info to our operator and Founding Partner Rob Plevy, Esq. will call you within 5-10 minutes for your free, no-obligation consultation during the hours of 8 am – 10 pm. After hours, Rob will call you in the morning or at the time you want.
- Then just text or call us any time you want during your case!
Because any delay could cause you to lose viable rights and benefits, please call HURT-911® Founding Partner Rob Plevy, Esq. right now for a free consultation to find out your rights days/nights/weekends.
You can speak, text, or email with us whenever you want throughout your case and afterward, days/nights/weekends, and experience our famous personal service. You’ll even get our personal phone numbers so you can call or text anytime!
Watch Founding Partner Phil Franckel, Esq. talk about New York Serious Injury Attorneys.com, difficult cases, and the 1-800-HURT-911® Dream Team™
Philip L. Franckel, Esq. is one of the HURT911® Dream Team™ Founding Partners at 1-800-HURT-911® New York; He has a 10 Avvo rating; Avvo Client’s Choice with all 5-star reviews; Avvo Top Contributor; and a former Member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association.
Robert Plevy, Esq. is one of the HURT911® Dream Team™ Founding Partners at 1-800-HURT-911® New York. Rob began his legal career in 1993 as an Assistant Corporation Counsel defending The City of New York against personal injury lawsuits.