- 1 Can TMJ Be Caused By An Accident?
- 2 TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction or Disorder Symptoms
- 3 What TMJ Injury Is And Treatment Options
- 4 When Your TMJ Injury Doesn’t Go Away Soon after an Accident
- 5 Neck Pain, Headaches, and Other Injuries May Be Misdiagnosed and May Be a TMJ Injury
- 6 How Much Is a TMJ Injury Worth?
Can TMJ Be Caused By An Accident?
Yes. The Temporomandibular joint is also referred to as the TMJ. The TM joints in your jaw allow your jaw to open and close. The TMJ can be injured by other causes but trauma from an accident is a common cause of TMJ injury. Injury to the TMJ is usually called Temporomandibular joint dysfunction or disorder.
TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction or Disorder Symptoms
If you had an accident and are experiencing any of the following symptoms (you may experience one or more of these symptoms), call us immediately for a free consultation and we can help you obtain a diagnosis from a TMJ specialist:
- Pain, tenderness, or a dull, aching of the jaw or side of your face or around your ear
- Pain, difficulty, or discomfort when you chew, speak, or yawn
- Swelling on the side of the face
- Sore, stiff muscles around your jaws
- Feeling as if the upper and lower teeth do not match together properly
- Difficulty or pain while opening or closing the mouth
- Limited ability to open your mouth normally
- Locking of the jaw while either opening or closing
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing your mouth
- Headaches (frequent)
- Ringing in your ear (tinnitus)
- Toothaches which are undiagnosed
- Neck pain
- Upper shoulder pain
What TMJ Injury Is And Treatment Options
When Your TMJ Injury Doesn’t Go Away Soon after an Accident
A TMJ injury is very serious because the two joints are connected and control matching the teeth in the upper jaw with the teeth and the lower jaw. When the two joints are damaged or out of alignment, wear-and-tear is accelerated causing an increased intensity of the symptoms. Imagine a car being out of alignment wearing out the tires. If not corrected, the tires continue to wear until they are dangerous and unusable.
A TMJ injury can cause many symptoms, all of which are quite serious. Just imagine going through a lifetime with these injuries and the knowledge that they will likely increase over time. Even if a TMJ injury is corrected with surgery, traumatic arthritis will result and additional surgery may be required years later.
Neck Pain, Headaches, and Other Injuries May Be Misdiagnosed and May Be a TMJ Injury
When the TMJ is injured, symptoms are often misdiagnosed and are mistaken for other injuries. We have seen clients who came to us after being represented by other lawyers where the clients were treated over an extended period of time for neck pain by a neurologist. We correctly suspected that the neck pain was actually a symptom of a TMJ injury that needed to be treated by an oral surgeon specializing in TMJ.
Early recognition of the symptoms and early diagnosis is crucial to prevent further much more serious injury. Even if properly diagnosed soon after an accident, a TMJ injury is still serious and may eventually need to be treated with arthroscopic surgery. However, if not diagnosed early, open joint surgery may become necessary.
How Much Is a TMJ Injury Worth?
Because a TMJ injury is serious, these are valuable injuries. Following are 3 examples of clients we represented for a TMJ injury:
$1.3 Million Verdict for Bilateral TMJ Surgery
Our client had bilateral arthroscopic TMJ surgery and subsequently underwent open joint surgery on one side, we turned down an offer of $200,000 and at trial, a Nassau County jury returned a verdict of $1.3 million which was reduced to $567,000. The defense unsuccessfully tried to argue that the TMJ injury was caused by a lifetime of poor dental care.
$135,000 for Arthroscopic TMJ Surgery
Our client was represented for two years by another attorney. Her no-fault benefits were denied early on and she could not afford to get arthroscopic surgery. But her dentist who was treating her for her TMJ injury said she urgently needed arthroscopic surgery on one side to prevent the injury from getting worse.
Her attorney wrote numerous letters, without success, to the no-fault insurance company trying to get them to approve the surgery.
Her friend recommended that she call us. We were able to re-open her no-fault file and within two months we got the no-fault insurance company to approve the surgery. We then settled her case for $135,000.
$225,000 for Arthroscopic TMJ Surgery
Our client was injured in a car accident by a car that was insured for $250,000. Our client underwent arthroscopic surgery and we settled the case for $225,000.
Get the 1-800-HUR-T911® Dream Team™ on your side and become a member of our family!
“Knowing I had a team of great lawyers on my side gave me a sense of power and peace of mind. They took care of everything for me. When a settlement was negotiated, I saw the difference a team of lawyers makes.”
Attorneys who can get you the most amount of money AND provide personal service!
Please take a look at some of our:
No Win — No Fee — No Expenses — Guaranteed
What will happen when I call 1-800-HURT-911 or chat?
- Our call center operators and chat operators are available 24/7.
- You will reach our call center operator and give your contact info. The call usually lasts 3-4 minutes. If you use chat, a live person will take your info.
- Our call center operator or chat operator will text and email your info to us.
- Founding Partner Rob Plevy, Esq. will call you within 5-10 minutes for your free, no-obligation consultation during the hours of 8 am to 10 pm. If you contact us after hours, Rob will call you in the morning.
Because any delay could cause you to lose viable rights and benefits, please call HURT-911® Founding Partner Rob Plevy, Esq. right now for a free consultation to find out your rights days/nights/weekends.
Then continue to speak, text, or email with us whenever you want throughout your case and afterward, days/nights/weekends, and experience our famous personal service. You’ll get our personal phone numbers so you can call or text anytime!
Watch Founding Partner Phil Franckel, Esq. talk about New York Serious Injury Attorneys.com, difficult cases, and the 1-800-HURT-911® Dream Team™
Philip L. Franckel, Esq. is one of the HURT911® Dream Team™ Founding Partners at 1-800-HURT-911® New York; He has a 10 Avvo rating; Avvo Client’s Choice with all 5-star reviews; Avvo Top Contributor; and a former Member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association.
Robert Plevy, Esq. is one of the HURT911® Dream Team™ Founding Partners at 1-800-HURT-911® New York. Rob began his legal career in 1993 as an Assistant Corporation Counsel defending The City of New York against personal injury lawsuits.