Have you been injured because of a crime? You are entitled to compensation and you may be able to obtain compensation from two different sources.
You may be able to obtain compensation through a lawsuit but you can also file a claim with the New York State Office of Victim Services.
Unless the perpetrator of a crime has money or a good job, to obtain compensation through a lawsuit, the lawyer has to find insurance coverage.
An example of the type of crime where a civil lawsuit would probably not be successful in obtaining compensation from the perpetrator is where a person is walking down the street when suddenly punched by a homeless person.
A lawsuit may be successful in obtaining substantial compensation for many other types of crimes. Some examples are:
- Sexual assault of a child by an employee of a company or organization.
- Sexual assault of an employee or customer because of the negligence of a company or organization.
- A victim of violent crime where there was inadequate security.
- A bar or restaurant may be liable for serving too much alcohol where someone was assaulted by a drunk customer.
- College or university students who have been sexually assaulted may have a Title IX case against the college or university.
If you have been injured or know someone who was killed because of a violent crime and you think there was a company or organization which was negligent, call for a free consultation and speak with Attorneys Phil Franckel and Rob Plevy right now. Just call 1-800-487-8911